On Sunday 19th October Schnitzel Burgers were on the menu, with Emily creating her own Asian twist to this Oktoberfest Brisbane classic – with Wolfgang, from K&K Austrian restaurant explaining the history behind the schnitzel.
Emily prepared her own special ‘take’ on this classic. We’ll simply call it …
Emily’s Chicken Schnitzel Asian Burger with Chilli Lime Mayo and Emily’s Chilli Jam
Guo Bao (Asian Brioche Bun)
300g low gluten flour for steamed bun (available at Asian grocery stores)
35 g caster sugar
5 g (1¾ tsp) dried yeast
30 g lard, melted
extra 95 g plain flour
- Stir lard, yeast, 1 tablespoon sugar and 190ml warm water in a bowl until yeast dissolves.
- Mix flours, 1½ tsp salt and remaining sugar in an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook on low speed to combine, add yeast mixture and knead until smooth (8-10 minutes).
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl, turn to coat, cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place until doubled in size (2 hours).
- Knock back dough, divide into 10 – 15 balls and transfer to a tray lined with baking paper, cover with plastic wrap and set aside until doubled in size (1 hour).
- Roll dough flat into ovals, brush half of each lightly with oil and fold in half. Place on a sheet of baking paper, cover with a tea towel and set aside until doubled in size (1 hour).
- Steam buns in a bamboo steamer over high heat until puffed and cooked through (8-10 minutes)!
Emily’s Chilli Jam
Use same recipe as the first weekend (see previous blog)
Chilli and Lime Mayo
1 egg yolk
1 whole egg
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch of sugar
1 whole chilli deseeded and chopped finely
300 ml of Soy bean oil or any other veggie oil (NOT olive oil)
1 teaspoon of mustard seed
1 lime (juiced and zest)
- Using a stick blender, blitz eggs together with sugar chilli minced and lime zest until well combined.
- Add oil slowly while the blender is still blitzing the eggs until well combined.
- Add more oil in a constant stream until they are well combined and thicken. A good sign of mayo is the mixture starting to thicken and the mayo did not split half way through.
- Add lime juice and more seasoning if require
Chicken Schnitzel Asian Burger method
1 Asian Brioche Bun
1 Chicken Schnitzel
1/4 Red Onion or Spanish Onion
Coriander leaves for garnish
1 tablespoon of Chilli and lime Mayo
1 tablespoon of Emily’s Chilli Jam
Cucumber and carrot ribbons
- Assemble as shown in the picture or according to your own style!
Wishing you happy cooking and a happy tummy!
Would you like to know more about what Emily’s doing, or ask her your foodie questions, then please visit her website www.EmilyLoo.com.au .